Qualified Charitable Distribution From Your IRA
You may be looking for a way to make a big difference to help further our mission. If you are 70½ or older, a Qualified Charitable Distribution is a way you can help continue our work and benefit this year.
Benefits of a Qualified Charitable Distribution:
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to our organization;
- Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help further the work and mission of our organization
HOW TO MAKE A GIFT FROM YOUR QUALIFIED CHARITABLE DISTRIBUTION:
- The process to make a gift to Norwich begins with calling your IRA custodian/trustee/administrator and informing them that you would like to make a charitable contribution to Norwich University from your IRA
- They will ask you to complete a "Check Request Form" with an amount
- Norwich's tax ID # is 03-0179-424
- The IRA custodian must make the distribution payable to "Norwich University"
- Please instruct the custodian to send the check to:
Norwich University, ATTN Megann OMalley, 158 Harmon Drive, Northfield, VT 05663-1035
- Once you have initiated this process, please notify the Director of Planned Giving, Megann OMalley at (802) 485-2282 / firstname.lastname@example.org. She will track your gift to ensure it is properly handled
Congress passed the SECURE Act, effective January 1, 2020 which increased the age for required minimum distributions (RMDs) to 72. You can still make a tax-free gift to Norwich from your IRA at the age of 70 ½. To read more about this and other ways the SECURE Act may affect you, please click here.
If you have any questions about a QCD gift, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions you might have.
Director of Planned Giving